5 Things You Can Do to Help During the Covid-19 Crisis
When you feel the most helpless, you actually have the power to do the most good.
Here are five things you can do to fight in the face of COVID-19:
- Donate to the Franklin-Southampton Area United Way COVID-19 Fund. Your gift supports community resources that serve struggling families in Franklin and Southampton County. As food pantries and other community resources are inundated, donations to the Franklin-Southampton Area United Way COVID-19 Fund help ensure these vital relief services stay open and accessible.
- Direct people to 211. Virginia 211 is working on the front lines of the pandemic. Expert 211 specialists provide real-time information on social services and other resources to those in need. If you know someone who is struggling, or just looking for a source of reliable information, tell them to call 2-1-1 or visit www.211virginia.org.
- Direct people to food distribution sites as needed. Click on the above link for a list of resources and food distributions. We will keep you posted of other local food distributions as we are aware.
- Call your friends and family. Loneliness is damaging to our health. Even during isolation, modern technology allows us to stay connected. Checking in on friends and family is more than polite right now, it’s essential. And don’t forget elderly neighbors or others living alone. If you are able to pick up and drop off items for someone that is high risk, please do so.
- Take care of your mental health. If you’re stuck at home, keep busy with hobbies, try out arts and crafts, pick up an old musical instrument, organize family game nights, and step outside for fresh air and exercise. You can’t take care of others unless you take care of yourself. Several of our local churches have online services and post daily on social media. Some mental health providers are utilizing phone calls and teleconferencing appointments.
Even in these uncertain times, no one is powerless to make a difference. Small acts, taken together across the country, can change the course of the pandemic, bolster those facing economic challenges, and protect the most vulnerable.
JOIN THE MOVEMENT!
You can give. You can advocate. You can volunteer.
That’s what it means to LIVE UNITED.
Donate on-line on this website or mail check to P.O. Box 366 / Franklin, VA 23851.